Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fear, by Michael Grant


Things get totally crazy in this book, now don't they? Well, actually, the THiNGS don't get crazy, the people do. I mean, seriously. So many insane people, really? I thought we were really pushing it with Cigar and all... Haha. Penny was totally nutso by the end of it. I almost felt bad for her at one point, but then you look at her lunatic antics and you're just like, no, just die already, would you? And then, I just felt bad for Cigar. Poor kid, ripping out your own eyes because of Penny's illusions? That had to be totally disgusting and sad and painful all at the same time... I was completely abhorred by that scene with him ripping out his veins because he thought they were Red Vines? *shiver* But then he gets that vision thing and I thought he was going to be more important than he ended up being with the scene with Astrid. I mean, he just gets eaten by zekes? That seems like a rather sad and pointless death....

I thought Diana was actually growing on me. She was all nice and motherly with Justin and Atria. That was almost...sweet. Like she was trying to be forgiven for what she had done to Panda. I love that she at least feels bad about how she ate Panda. Because she always reflects to that being the worst thing she ever did, and she always feels the guilt. On the other hand, Caine never even bothers thinking about it. Like it's below him to even consider feeling guilty about the fact that he ate another human being.

I could not believe how Albert simply ran away. Now he's probably living it up at the island. Like, what even? That was complete nonsense. And now that the light is back, he's just going to come crawling back and be all, sorry about ditching you all like that, but...i'M BACK TO RULE THE FAYZ.

Michael Grant had that list of ten things that were going to happen in the book, so I'm going to got through them now :]

1.] "Remember that it was originally titled DARKNESS" Well, there was certainly a lot of Darkness. Between the actual gaiaphage and the literal darkness that consumed the FAYZ, there was a TON of darkness. Plunging the world into the dark was actually a really clever move on Grant's part. I mean, the kids have been through a ton since the barrier first appeared. They went through the loss of their parents, they endured the hunger, they got through all the lies, they survived the plague. But there was no way they were going to be able to get through complete and utter darkness. No one would be able to get through that. And then the birth of the gaiaphage into Gaia was also totally...annoying. I really just wanted it to die already. Though, I guess Grant wouldn't be able to make a sixth book if it all just ended there xD

2.] "At one point Sam will rub Diana's tummy" We didn't really have to wait very long for that one :P Diana just came up to him in, like, the second scene of the book and was all, here, feel my belly, the baby is kicking! Haha xD Diana seemed so nice and calm and relaxed at that time. I actually really like that Di better than the cold and manipulative Di that lived with Caine.

3.] "Astrid-haters will love her by the end" I never really HATED Astrid, but I've never been a big fan of her's. And honestly, my opinion didn't really change by the end of the book. If anything, I like her less right now. I mean, I get that she got less God-loving and more fearless, but really, sleeping with someone doesn't make you any cooler in my book.

4.] "There's a surprising 'coming out'" This one actually bugged me. There was a hint at the very beginning of the book about who it might be, and I was bugged the entire time waiting for him to come out. Edilio. I can't believe Grant did this! Nothing against gays or anything, but I kind of just never really imagined Edilio with ANYONE, let alone ROGER. I mean, seriously? I thought that if Edilio ever did relinquish some of his time from taking care of people for someone, it would be for some really totally amazing person. But someone as totally lame as Artful Roger? Come on, Dils, you can do better than him!!

5.] "...A heart will be broken" Not sure who's heart this is. Because it could be Dekka's after her conversation with Brianna (after which I was nearly convince she was the one that was going to come out because of the way she was talking about her feelings). And then it could be Caine because he lost Diana. Or Jack because Bri doesn't actually even care about him (though he might be dead...). Penny because Drake and Caine both rejected her? But she died, so who cares about her? Ummm... It couldn't be Sam and Astrid because they were all happy at the end. And it couldn't be Edilio because he gets Roger. It might be Caine over losing his mother. Or... Yeah, I have no idea on this one.

6.] "You will learn why Sam and not Caine" This was totally lame. There was no superbeing knowledge in Connie Temple. She was just going through postpartum depression and thought her son was evil. So she gave him away. Can't really come up with a lamer reason than that.

7.] "There is a huge betrayal" Not sure about this one either. I'm thinking it might be Di betraying them all for Gaia. It might be Petey betraying everyone? I have no idea.

8.] "Someone will lose their virginity" Sam and Astrid. I was already mad at Caine and Diana for being so dumb. How could Astrid have been so insanely DUMB? I mean, did they not all learn their lesson from Di? DON'T DO iT. You might end up pregnant with a little monster that wants to kill everyone.

9.] "Someone we know well will die" Howard Bassem. I started liking him in whichever book Zil and the Human Crew set fir to town because of his little bonding moment with Edilio as brothers and the way he stood up to Astrid and Albert in defense of Sam. But apart form those scenes, he was always painted as a total loser that only cared about himself, Orc, and his booze-business. Or, I suppose it could be Mary Terrafino. But she's basically been dead to us since she made the jump. We didn't really need to see her die again...

1O.] "A scene so dark and anguished my editors wanted me to tone it down" Again, not entirely sure. I'm thinking the scene with the coyotes attacking the kids? Or Di giving birth? I'm not entirely sure.

So, ending it with the outside being able to see them? That's simply genius. It's like the worst thing that could happen in the FAYZ because at least before they were entirely cut off and didn't have to worry about the outside world. But now everyone can see them, and they can see everyone. I mean, how can you get little kids to go back to work on the fields when they can see their parents right outside the barrier? It's like you're so extremely close, but so many miles away. And now the parents can't even understand why their kids are the way they are. And then so many of their kids are dead and gone...

Pretty good book, overall. Kept me reading, kept me intrigued and hooked.
I can't believe there's only going to be one more book. And then the series is over. I've had so much fun with these books because they show what kids will do when they are placed in these situations. It's just a wondermusly written story and I've loved every moment of it so far (:

{~credit where credit is deserved~}
~Brightheart~

No comments:

Post a Comment